5.19.2008

"You are my center when i spin away...Out of control, on videotape..."



So today was the first official day of job hunting. It didn't go too bad, considering the end results. I'm going back to an Olive Garden tomorrow for their "job-fair" from 2-4, which is basically showing up for an interview and giving them your job application. I'm not sure if they tell you right there on the spot whether you get the job or not, but if they do that would be pretty nice. As well as the Olive Garden, a Panera Bread seemed pretty interested in looking for new workers so that's also a possibility. Although I am a big fan of Panera in terms of food, I can't imagine making more money there than at the Olive Garden, so the latter is a better choice. Lastly, there was this really nice-looking restaurant that they have around these parts called The Fox and Hound. I filled out an application for them and supposedly they call within a couple of days. They told me if I didn't get a call within that time, I should give them a call myself. At least they're on top of things. So basically, being that I'm going to this "job-fair" tomorrow and they are actually looking for new people to hire, it looks as if Olive Garden is on top of my list as of right now. I've never eaten at the place before, but it seemed pretty decent inside and as long as they give me enough hours and I bring home the loot, it's all good with me.




When my friend Anthony left me a comment requesting I speak my mind about an album, the first one that popped into my mind is Radiohead's In Rainbows. I don't think I have one bad thing to say about this album. I can't get enough of it still, and it came out during Fall semester. One thing I absolutely love about the record is the fact that there are only ten tracks. Although I did enjoy Hail To the Thief a nice amount overall, my personal opinion feels that there was too much stuff going on with that record. Some filler, not all killer if you know what I mean. Meanwhile, In Rainbows is an album that goes straight to the point, and that's exactly what I like in a great record. From the opening sounds of "15 Step" all the way through to the hauntingly beautiful closing that is "Videotape", their is not a single song that one might feel the urge to skip over while listening to. Here are some highlights of my personal favorites off of the album:

"Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" - This song is currently my favorite song off of the album. I love the drums that open up the track, followed by the magnificent arpeggio that is played on the guitar that follows (hence the "Arpeggi" in the title). The atmosphere that is created by this song is simply incredible. Thom's voice sounds very fragile and frightening, which goes hand in hand with the music. Closing your eyes, you can imagine yourself moving along within "the deepest ocean/The bottom of the sea". During the verse at "2:12", Thom's background vocals sound as if they really are coming from the bottom, amongst the weird fishes. During the "Hit The Bottom" section, the bass stands out stronger than any other instrument being performed in the song. Bottom line (pun intended), make sure you pay attention to this song. It has already become one of my favorite Radiohead songs, very easily.

"All I Need" - If anyone already knows this record, then they don't really need an explanation on this one. Interesting thing: the very first time I listened to this record, this, along with "Reckoner", was a song that didn't impress me. Looking back, that is possibly the most ridiculous judgement I've ever made about this band. The beauty of this song lies in what appears to be its simplicity. It moves along nicely and slowly, building its way to "2:45" where the song just jumps ten levels, soaring into the sky. Led by Johhny Greenwood's xyelephone and Thom's repeated "It's all wrong/It's all right", your spaceship lands on a planet that you never knew existed. This song was my initial favorite off the album (not including that first listen, of course) and continues to be.

"House of Cards" - This one is just really nice to lay down to and enjoy. Thom's faint vocals in the beginning sound beautiful, preparing you for a great love song. In a way, this song was the underdog of the group. I used to consider it a good song on the album, but wouldn't rep it so much. The more and more I hear it, the more and more it grows on me. The metaphor of the song is really imaginitive. I understand the song in a way that it represents two people making the decisions to jump into a relationship that they aren't so sure of. Almost like a ToHellWithIt song. "Let's just do it and hope for the best." I like what the song represents.

"Videotape" - It's really hard to give this song the justice it deserves through words. The song is stunning. Out of all the songs on the record, this is the one that continues to blow my mind every time I listen to it. I'll say this: Radiohead is always known for having their last song of an album be great. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the very best of their closing songs, possibly tied up with The Bends' "Street Spirit". No song has been able to leave effects on me like this one does: so fucking beautiful, yet so fucking scary, yet again, so fucking beautiful. The meaning of this song can cause a discussion lasting for days, so I leave it to you to check it out. Just trust me, don't sleep on it.


Listen to the record if you haven't already. I promise you, it will not disappoint. It might even better your person. It most definately did mine.


Download for In Rainbows


Great live performance of "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are you gonna give in and start blogging about Biscuits? You know you want to, even at the risk of indie cred. Give into your inner wook brah.

Aquatic Escape said...

haha,soon enough...