5.18.2008

"Somehow it just don't seem fitting for a man to spend his wedding night in a tree..."


So I decided to start up a blog. I figured it would be a good idea to have something like this to spend time on each day. I'm hoping it turns out to be something that I can keep up with an enjoy going back to. Being here in Huntersville, North Carolina, something like this could be good for me.

I got here on Thursday night, which was the 15th of May. Since I've been back, nothing really out of the ordinary has happened. I don't know anyone else down here besides my family, so that is always a downer. I tried out Craigslist for the first time in order to look for a job around the area, but not much was going on with that. There was one place I was interested in: a Sushi/Pan-Asian Restaurant located in the city of Charlotte, which is no longer than 25-30 minutes from here. They were looking for a Host and the pay was $12/hour! It sounded like a good find, but I never got any response from them after I sent out an email the night their post went up. That was three days ago, so I am not counting on that job anymore. Tomorrow I am going to be driving out to an Olive Garden to see if it is possible to get a waitering job there. I've actually never been inside one of those, but my Dad seems to feel it is the only place where I will meet people my age from around the area. Anyway, it would be nice if I could have a job as of tomorrow. I need to get out of the house somehow...

Right now I'm reading Junichiro Tanizaki's The Makioka Sisters. The work is considered one of the greatest Japanese novels of the 20th century, as well as Tanizaki's "masterpiece". A little over 50 pages in, I am definately finding an attraction to it. I chose to start my summer reading off with this piece because I am taking an independent study on Tanizaki this coming fall and need to get a head-start on it as much as I can. The Makioka Sisters is his longest one, so i figured it would pay of to get it out of the way. I'm trying to take notes on it whenever I can as well, since it will probably be hard to remember every novel so well after reading them all. Tanizaki's work tends to deal with two major ideas: 1) erotic obsessions and 2) tensions caused from being caught in between both Japanese aesthetics and Western influence; this novel places most of its focus on the latter. The story focuses on four sisters who are part of a family that once was prominent and wealthy but has declined within society over the years. The story takes place in Osaka, approximately five years before the start of World War II. A very enjoyable aspect of the novel is the way it includes certain Japanese customs, both ones that I've heard of and ones I have not. Also, he portrays both sides of the spectrum through the roles of the sisters. While the 3rd oldest (Yukiko) represents traditional Japanese aesthetics, only wearing Japanese clothes and maintaining a type of "aura", the youngest (Taeko) almost always wears Western-style clothing, lives in a Western-style home, and acts very nontraditional in terms of relationships with men. Interestingly, Tanizaki writes: "Taeko had a round face and a firm, plump body to go with it. Yukiko, by contrast, had a long, thin face and a very slender figure." I feel like the author is using these traits to represent the difference between the East and West in regards to a type of greed, intake, ect...

Turner Classic Movies has been great for my viewing pleasure thus-far. I've been looking forward to spending my summer watching TCM, finding new Hollywood classics to love whenever I can. Two nights ago, the spotlight was on Sidney Poitier. After watching two of his films, I came to realize that Poitier might be one of my all-time favorite actors. As of now, I've seen three films he has starred in (A Patch of Blue (1965), The Defiant Ones (1958), Lilies of the Field (1963)); I've absolutely loved them all. In particular, Lilies of the Field was an amazing film, simply about people and their ability to love and respect one another, no matter what differences may exist. A film about coexisting...After watching Poitier, it's no wonder he became the first African American to win an Oscar for Best Actor. I highly suggest checking out this film and any other Poitier films you have the chance to watch. You won't be disappointed. I've posted a couple of links below of Sidney Poitier, involving the Oscars. They are really great to watch, for anyone.

The title of this post is a quote from the film I watched last night, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954). As far as I know, this is the only musical that was made for the big screen rather than being on Broadway beforehand, but you might want to check up on that one yourself since it's possible that there might be another one or two like it. The story tells of a backwoodsman who brings a wife back home with him, where he lives with his six brothers. After being taught by the wife how to act proper and respectful, the six brothers try to find themselves wives as well. I won't spoil anything else for you, but I'd say it is definately worth checking out in terms of musicals. The genre is new to me so I've only seen a few, but this one was great to see! I've posted a link below to one of my favorite songs of the film. Notice the way the song moves along with the men's actions, it's really fun to watch and listen to.



Sidney Poitier

--> Recieving an Honorary Oscar at the 74th Annual Academy Awards
--> On the significance of Denzel Washington's Oscar win for Training Day
--> Impressive ending of Lilies in the Field


Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
--> "Lonesome Polecat"
--> "Barn Dance"


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

Good to read up and to see how your doing. I wish you the best of luck on your job search, please do the same for me. You have quite the knack for reviewing various mediums of art. ( film, literature) Why not try reviewing albums next time :) . Talk to you soon.

-Anthony

Unknown said...

tim, good idea starting a blog- you've got a lot to talk about. i don't know how the craigslist is down there, but it's great in new york, and has a better job success rate than other job websites. i concur with apefoodnig- its good to hear how you're doing. i'll call you soon so we can catch up.

Jake

Aquatic Escape said...

thanks a lot for the feedback guys, it was so nice to see you guys left me some comments. and anthony, i'm going to take you up on your request for sure. check back for an album review in the near future.

Aaron said...

copying darwin in prague are we timerfrey?

Anonymous said...

im glad you liked seven brides for seven brothers!!!! its a cute movie. good luck on getting a job and i'll talk to when i get back from olde ireland.


-<3 jess drew